What Happens Post Birth

Going Home

Once the child has been born it will depend on the hospitals policy with regards to what happens next. 

We recommend making an appointment with the Head of Midwifery. This will be at the hospital your Surrogate intends to deliver at and during the pregnancy preferably around the beginning of the third trimester. 

Some hospitals are Surrogacy friendly and have polices in place to respect parents wishes from birth. They may allow individual rooms to recover in and discharge the surrogate and the baby separately.

However some hospitals will not view the Intended Parent's as the child's parents immediately and require the hand over of baby to happen offsite of the hospital.

Once ready for discharge the Intended Parent's can travel home with the baby straight away and midwife care for the baby will be handed over to the parents local Midwifery Team.

It is good practice to make contact with them before hand and inform them of the baby's due date. This can be done by contacting your local GP Surgery.

The Surrogate will then have the normal post-natal checks done by her own Midwife with the baby being under her local team.

Some Intended Parent's have had issues with giving consent for tests or procedures therefore it is advised that the Surrogate writes a short letter outlining the surrogacy arrangement and giving her permission for the Intended Parent's to make any decisions.

We at Hope Surrogacy Support can help you with letter templates.

Registering the Birth

The Surrogate will need to register the birth just like her own children. If she is unmarried the father can be named on the birth certificate. If she is married or in a civil partnership it will depend on the Registrar's discretion who they will allow on the birth certificate as the second parent.

The Parents will pick the full name including surname.

The baby can be given any name and does not need to have the Surrogates Surname. 

More details can be found in our Legalities section of the this website.

Parental Order

Once you have the Full Birth Certificate the Parents can apply to the Family Court for a Parental Order. A completed  'C51' form printable from the government website is sent with the fee and the full Birth Certificate to the Intended Parent's local Family Court. The case is then referred to a Judge who will review it and assign a CAFCASS officer. CAFCASS are the Family Court Officers who will arrange to come out and visit the Parents. They will talk through the Surrogacy Journey and discuss things such as how you met, how the child was conceived and what expenses have been paid. CAFCASS will also contact the Surrogate and ask them a few questions and facilitate her (and her husband if she has one) to sign a form. This form states that they agree to the Parental Order being granted. A report will be written and sent back to the Judge who will grant the Parental Order during the Final Court Hearing. Cases differ slightly from county to county with some only requiring one court hearing and others two. This is dependant on the Judge and your local Court Protocol.

More details can be found in our Legalities and The Parental Order sections of this website.